Tuesday, April 27, 2010

My Knitting Aspiration

Back in the 1980's I worked in a fitness center/restaurant/bar.  This center became my hub of operations as a college student.  It was where I worked, played, made lifelong friendships, and where I met my husband.  Fast forward twenty-five years and I'm still a knitter, but not a fitness instructor any more.  Far from it.

Here in my neck of the woods there is an annual half marathon along the shores of Lake Winnepesaukee.  My fitness center friends train for months and enter the race as a personal challenge.  After the run we all convene at my house for a huge Thanksgiving dinner.  I believe Thanksgiving is the most important holiday, so we celebrate it twice a year. 

This year the runners have dwindled to two, but the supporters/eaters has grown to something like thirty.  I proposed that in support of our two lonely runners we each set a personal goal and try to achieve it by race day.  One friend's goal was to never wear holey socks again.  Another's was to not run 13 miles.  Mine was to self-publish a pattern.  I have had to revise my goal recently, when I discovered it would be wise to have my pattern test-knit before putting it out there.  So I'll have it ready for test-knitting by May 8.  That's what I aspire to.   

No comments: