Monday, June 20, 2011

Progress Report, Summer Session



The Salvation Army in Portland Maine holds an annual sale of donated goods for knitters/sewers/crafters every spring.  This year I picked up a stack of fabric and books, all for about twenty dollars.  I only had one yard of this calico, and I managed to squeeze my favorite pattern onto it by shortening the sleeves and adjusting the placket.  My pattern is an awful lot like Great-Great GrandPa's hammer:  we've replaced the head twice and the handle three times.  I started with Butterick 4064 years ago (which I purchased for 25 cents), but all that remains of that pattern is the bust dart and the armscye. 


Of the six million buttons I own, only these green buttons would do, and they came as a foursome.  I think I'll add more holes and change the buttons - I have a new foot for my machine for securing buttons, I should use it.


McCall's 3341 is a clean and classic A-line skirt that I love.  I've added some pockets on this version, and belt carriers too. I'd show you the back, but somewhere along the line my caboose started looking like a pillowcase full of kittens.  I either need more supportive foundation garments, or more supportive skin. Or a personal trainer.  My head is cropped so that we can all focus on the clothing, not my lack of head maintenance today.  (Don't be fooled, I clean up pretty nice, and this ole body has served me really well).


Here's the best part : my first etsy purchase, a belt and buckle by bmused buckles by Arete.   I've been coveting these buckles for a long time now, and it was high time to pull the trigger.  I am so in love with this.  And it came beautifully packaged, a special gift to me.  Go, get one for yourself!




5 comments:

Jani said...

You've inspired me! I needed a 'new' summer hobby (yup, I said that). I used to sew clothes for two little girls... I know there's a sewing machine around here somewhere... Beautiful blouse, thank you for sharing!

craftivore said...

"Pillowcase full of kittens"!!! LOL. Yay for summer sewing, both of those pieces look like they'll get a lot use. The belt buckle is super cute.

magnusmog said...

Sooooo glad that I didn't know about that sale. I'd have been on the firt plane over.

One the other hand, it reminds me that I have a quilt to finish.....

mary jane said...

cutest belt buckle ever...what jeni said...glad i missed the sale!

woolydaisy said...

i'm so lovin that belt buckle!!