Wednesday, January 22, 2014

Dress + Cardigan: Installment 10



Dress no. 10 was sewn last summer at Searsport Shores Ocean Campground.  I was on a week-long sewing bender.  Actually, I was their Artist in Residence for the week, but to me it felt like a self-indulgent fantasy vacation.  I'll be there again this summer, July 20 - 26.  [pause - I'm doing a cheerleader dance move in my seat].



The dress is again made of fabric from Marden's of Maine. Marden's is great for simple cottons, but also odd items like snap tape, good twill tape, industrial zippers, beaded pompom trim (yep, used it), and a bag of snack food for the ride home.  I always go in on a full stomach.


Mary Jane is a cardigan knit in Nash Island Light Wool.  The bearded goats are from Mary Jane Mucklestone's book 150 Scandinavian Motifs: The Knitter's Directory. I love Mary Jane's books (and Mary Jane herself), and this book speaks directly to my craving for whimsy and nostalgia. If you can't wait for it to be shipped, throw on some shoes and run to your local bookstore to get it.  It will make your day.




If I were stranded on a desert island, I would bring my beloved Nash Island Light yarn:  It is fluffy, strong, colorful, supremely warm, and deceptively lightweight. Then I would carve some size 8 circulars and get to work.



I will not be releasing a pattern for this sweater (go get that book!), but I do plan to write a basic pattern using Nash Island Light this year. Between the two, you can fashion your own version.

In other BIG news, I am home from Slater Mill's Knitter's Weekend.  But like the news anchors say on the boob tube, "Story at 11:00" (tomorrow).  It was a Fiber Lover's Gala, a Red Carpet Affair, but with handknits instead of ballgowns.

Dress + Cardigan display at Slater Mill


4 comments:

gale (she shoots sheep shots) said...

You are on FIRE! I like each new cardi better than the last. This one is wonderful, I love seeing the motif in worsted weight yarn, and how th goats cross the two contrast colors.
I am just about ready to use my Nash Island Light, I think I may need to do a Mary Jane motif as well. Thanks as always for the inspiration.
That display in the mill is almost haunting, I look forward to hearing the full report!

Mary Lou said...

Fun! I am working on my Nash Island Light sweater right now. Well, this week, not right this minute, because I am typing. I have some ideas for it I can't decide on. Also, have been pondering a project that might involve you and Nash Island Light and Fog....

Ellen Mason said...

ML - curious about your ponderings! G - I am planning your Nash Is sweater for release in May, will send it to you early for testing!

Jani said...

Love it! Love the colors! Love the goats! Love you! (Not necessarily in that order.) I'll go make us all some more yarn. & Your gallery installation is breathtaking. I'm so proud of you!