Monday, August 4, 2014

A Stitcher's Wardrobe: Slip

If I am wearing a dress I like for it to drape well and not stick to my body. Enter the slip. A slip helps a dress to hang as intended and move freely. But new slips are increasingly hard to find. It seems no one is wearing them.


I purchase slips at thrift stores regardless of their (sometimes hideous) color. They are often in perfect condition ... again, it seems no one is wearing them. Acid dye and an old pot turns a nylon number into something unusual and fun to wear.


This lacy charm was cream colored and identical to another I own. The straps did not take the dye -- they must be polyester. Maybe I'll replace them some day.  Maybe not.

Do you wear slips?

4 comments:

Beverly said...

I have one slip that I love to wear. I'm going to have to do some thrift store hunting!

Mary Lou said...

I wear half slips. Did you call them petticoats as a kid? We did. I also used to wear shorts under my school uniform in grade school to avoid wearing a slip. So comfy! I was sorting stuff and found a full slip I never use, if I kept it, I'll bring it. Tasteful beige.

gale (she shoots sheep shots) said...

I love that you dye thrift store slips. If that doesn't start a trend, it should!
Can I admit I kind of forgot about slips? And I've never really thought about their function other than making a see-through skirt less revealing. hmmm. You are making me thing. Better go get some coffee....

Tricia H said...

Yes! And I LOVE silk slips! Feels great against the skin, everything slides easily with no static cling. They're cooler and more comfortable than nylon. And, can double as a nightgown when traveling. BUT, I am finding these are even harder to find in stores than the nylon or spandex versions!