Saturday, November 1, 2014

A Stitcher's Wardrobe: Wingfeathers Shawl

Back in September I fell head over heels in love with Amy Lou Stein's freshly minted Wingfeathers Shawl, written by Cal Patch. Amy's was worked in a fat and buttery yarn, and I couldn't keep my hands off it.

Crochet is not my skill.  I set out to address that this year.

Imperial Wings

Heritage Anemones
At Rhinebeck I purchased two skeins of Esopus from Jill Draper Makes Stuff, one for me and one as a Christmas gift for my Mom. At Show 'n Tell my Mom lit up at the sight of my Wingfeathers in progress. I cracked and delivered her Esopus to her two months early. I think she "looped on" that night.




I will be taking this shawl on a shopping trip to the fabric store. Surely it deserves a companion smock of its own.


I ran out of yarn three quarters of the way through my last row, so I pulled the row out and devised a picot stitch that consumed a touch less yarn. In the end I had about five yards left.



I am thrilled with the end result of this project. It is made from the delicious yarn of a friend, the pattern is designed by another friend, it was set in motion by a third friend, and my Mom is working another one. I am learning a new skill that I adore, one that I set out to learn in February. I am calling this one of my biggest successes of the year.


7 comments:

Beverly said...

I'm going to jump on that Wingfeathers bandwagon soon! Love yours!

jani said...

a stunner! and lovely way to wrap yourself in warmth & friend love. can't wait to see her companion smock.

Kirsten said...

Ack! Between you, Amy Lou, and Cal it is getting harder and harder to resist the lure of the crochet hook! Love Wingfeathers in those colors.

Mary Lou said...

I do crochet, but simple things. You have clearly nailed that one!

cal said...

OH!!! this just fills me with joy. i love everything about this project, and that you're sharing it with your mom too. and your picot edge is just adorable! i might try that on the one i'm working on now ;n)

amy lou said...

How many ways can you blow our minds with your
Poly-Hobby behaviour? It's totally gorgeous and the picot is over the moon...so totally copying that.

gale (she shoots sheep shots) said...

I'm in. Total sheep behavior. As if anything is baaaa-d about that.